2012 is a crucial year in the field of education as it will witness 5 big trends that are going to shape the future of education for the next decade. In the current scenario we cannot undermine the role education plays in shaping the growth of a country.
By now you must be wondering and anticipating what those five trends are going to be? The 5 big trends are explained below for your better understanding.
- State policy matters more. With federal devolution like ESEA waivers and state aggregation of control of the six levers, the education sector is bound to get affected. Just like NCLB, the Common Core State Standards will define the state of education for the coming decade.
- Viral adoption of affordable web and mobile applications are changing the course of education. Unlike the previous generation, the current generation is not waiting for things to happen. They are using software applications available on the net and on the mobile phone to pursue higher education. This generation has witnessed the use of iPad, Ruby and softwares where the candidates are going through their study materials on the go i.e. while travelling, waiting for someone and so on.
- More Online learning: The explosion of MOOCs onto the education scene in 2012 along with the access to OER (e.g. Khan Academy, CK12, Gooru, PowerMyLearning) to has started a new mega trend whereby online learning is becoming easy, affordable and efficient.
- Blended learning: Although one can access online classes from anywhere anytime but most universities are planning to adopt the “Blended Learning” procedure whereby the candidates will be able to easy the benefits of both traditional classroom experience as well as the online experience. In the near future the courses are going to be a mix of both the learning procedure so that the benefits of learning increases and the candidates don’t miss out on anything.
- Data: The availability of data driven platforms like knowledge maps, achievement recognition systems (dashboards/badges to name a few) and profile driven playlists are going to make the procedure of “Teach to One” Recommendations more feasible and active.